National Legacy Day!
Today, we celebrate #NationalLegacyDay, a day where we encourage you to review your estate plan and ensure your legacy documents are in order and up to date.
Each year on May 24th, we recommend a comprehensive review of wills, trusts, health care directives, funding, passwords, and all the documents needed to secure one’s legacy, gain peace of mind, and make things easy for loved ones.
Ready to get everything in order? Here’s what you’ll need.
- Find your binder of estate planning documents.
- Do a quick review to make sure your documents are up-to-date with any recent life changes and verify that they reflect your current choices.
- Don’t forget to document passwords, family photos, family stories, and family recipes. This is about your legacy, not just legal documents! Pick one story or recipe and write it down or record it.
- Take a minute to connect/reconnect with or thank one of the people you list in your documents as helpers. Recently, we have found that some trustees and beneficiaries do not know they’re listed at all in our clients documents. It’s important to be sure that anyone you’ve placed in a fiduciary or trustee role knows that they’ve been named and is prepared for the prospect of your incapacity. We encourage you to have this conversation sooner rather than later. We’d be happy to facilitate this conversation through our Family Legacy Meeting. You can find more information about this service here.
- Celebrate with the beverage of your choice. Cheers!
We invite you to share your process and experience via social media by utilizing the hashtag #NationalLegacyDay. Also, feel free to forward this newsletter to a friend who might benefit from learning about #NationalLegacyDay.
Anna E. Byrne